These days the need to be secure in our homes and out in our community cannot be overstated. Too often, the outgoing and generous nature of citizens is exploited by someone less willing to earn their living honestly, so we all need to be on our guard.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Use common sense–if it sounds too good to be true, it is.
- Anytime anyone asks for an amount of cash in exchange for a larger amount of cash, their motive is criminal. No one receives something for nothing.
- When shopping, never leave purses or other valuables unattended in the shopping cart–even for a few seconds.
- Lock exterior doors–even when you are home.
- Always call the police if you see someone skulking around your neighbor's house. They may be close to your house next.
- Keep track of your children. Know where they are as much of the time as possible and educate them about strangers.
- Don't talk about your wealth or new acquisitions. Someone will be listening.
- Be cautious who you give personal information to–especially over the phone.